Daily Scripture Readings
Prayers ↓ | Readings ↓
Prayers Before Reading the Bible
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Shine into our heart, O loving Master, the pure light of Your divine knowledge and open the eyes of our minds to an understanding of the things Your Gospel teaches.
Implant in us also a reverence for Your blessed commandments so that, putting down the desires of our bodies, we may pursue a spiritual way of life, thinking and doing only those things that will please You.
For You are the light of our souls and our bodies, Christ our God, and to You we give glory: to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and unto the ages. Amen.
— from the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom
Thanksgiving Following Bible Reading
O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
O God, You have spoken to us Your divine and saving words. Illumine the souls of us sinners to comprehend that which has been read, that we do not appear simply as hearers of Your spiritual words, but doers of good deeds, true pursuers of faith,
having a blameless life and a conduct without reproach in Christ our Lord, with Whom You are blessed and glorified, together with Your all-holy, good, and life-giving Spirit, now and unto the ages. Amen
— from the Liturgy of St James, Brother of God
- Sun 32ndAPe, Pharisee & Publican (1) – Selections: Pentatuch v | 2 Tim 3:10-15* | Lk 18:10-14
- Mon The Meeting of Christ our God – Is 6:1-12v | 2 Pet 1:20-2:9* | Lk 2:22-40 | Heb 7:7-17*
- Tue Nicholas of Japan, Isapostolos – Is 19:1, 3-5, 12, 16, 19-21v | 2 Pet 2:9-22* | Mk 13:14-23
- Wed New Martyr Joseph of Aleppo – Dt 1:1-5k | 2 Pet 3:1-18* | Mk 13:24-31
- Thu Martyr Agatha of Palermo in Sicily – Dt 1: 5-18k | 1 John 1:8-2:6* | Mk 13:31-14:2
- Fri Photios the Great of Constantinople – Dt 1:19-25k | 1 John 2:7-17* | Mk 14:3-9
- Sat Parthenios, Bishop of Lampsakos – Dt 1:26-48k | 2 Tim 3:1-9* | Lk 20:46-21:4
- The Sunday of the Prodigal Son (2) – Is 43:8-14v | 1 Cor 6:12-20* | Lk 15:11-23
- Mon Martyr Nikephoros of Antioch – WSol 3:1-9v | 1 John 2:18-3:10* | Mk 11:1-11
- Hieromartyr Haralampos of Magnesia – WSol 5:15-6:3v | 1 John 3:11-20* | Mk 14:10-42 | 2 Tim 2:1-10*
- Wed Theodora the Empress – Dt 2:1-23k | 1 John 3:21-4:6* | Mk 14:43-15:1
- Thu Meletios, Archbishop of Antioch – Dt 2:24-37k | 1 John 4:20-5:21* | Mk 15:1-15
- Fri Apostles and Martyrs Aquila & Priscilla – Dt 3:1-11k | 2 John 1-13* | Mk 15:22-25, 33-41
- Sat Repose of Venerable Cyril, Isapostolos – Dt 3:12-20k | 1 Cor 10:23-28* | Lk 21:8-9, 25-27, 33-36
- The Sunday of the Last Judgment (3) – Dt 3:21-29k | 1 Cor 8:8-9:2* | Mt 25:31-46
- Mon Priest-Martyr Pamphilos of Palestine – Dt 4:1-9k | 3 John 1:1-15* | Lk 19:29-40; 22:7-39
- Tue Great-Martyr Th;eodore the Tyro – Dt 4:15-24k | Jude 1-10* | Lk 22:39-42, 45-23:1
- Wed Leo the Great, Pope of Rome – Dt 4:32-40k | Joel 2:12-26* | Joel 3:12-21
- Thu Venerable Martyr Philothea of Athens – Dt 5:1-6,16-30k | Jude 11-25* | Lk 23:2-34, 44-56
- Fri Leo Bishop of Catania on Sicily – Dt 6:10-16, 20-25k | Zech 8:7-17* | Zech 8:19-23
- Sat Eustathios, Archbishop of Antioch – Dt 7:6-13k | Rom 14:19-23* | Mt 6:1-13 Forgiveness Vespers
- The Sunday of Forgiveness (4) – Dt 8:1-10k | Rom 13:11-14:4* | Mt 6:14-21
- Mon Hieromartyr Polycarp, Bishop, Smyrna – Dt. 9:7-17, 25-29k | Isa 1:1-20, Gen 1:1-13 | Prov 1:1-20* Pure Monday: Great Fast
- 1st, 2nd Discoveries, Head Forerunner – Dt 10:1-5k | Isa 1:19-2:4, Gen 1:14-23 | Prov 1:20-33*
- Wed Martyr Alexander of Markianopolis – Dt. 12:1-7k | Isa 2:3-11, Gen 1:24-2:3 | Prov 2:1-22*
- Thu Photeini, The Samaritan Woman – Dt 13:1-4k | Isa 2:11-21, Gen 2:4-19 | Prov 3:1-20*
- Fri The Repose of Raphael of Brooklyn – Dt 15:7-15k | Isa 3:1-15, Gen 2:20-3:20 | Prov 3:21-36*
- Sat John Cassian the Roman – Dt 17:14-20k | Heb 1:1-12* | Mk 2:23-3:5